Monday, September 7, 2009

The Books Are In!

I was so excited when I arrived home to find that the nice UPS man (yes, it's a man, not a woman, though we do have a Mailwoman...which sounds odd, but still) had left the package at my front door. I was so excited! I'd read so many positive things about these books, and I was more than ready to knuckle down and create a (flexible) curriculum.

Then I started to open the box. My ugly little doubts raised their heads. What was I doing? What sort of mom was I, thinking I could do something others spend four years and more learning to do? Had I gone completely (I'll admit I'm a tad off, on the fun side) nuts? A panic attack would be more appropriate than Christmas present style anticipation. What if these books were terrible? What if I looked at them and was completely lost? Sure, others could understand them and breeze through them with smiles and cheer, but what if I couldn't? Suddenly it was 9th grade algebra all over again.

But I knew we'd made the choice, as a family, to do this. There was really no turning back now. So I took a deep breath, told myself not to be a ninny, and ripped open the tape.

Those beautiful, bright, shiny books winked up at me as if to say, "See, we won't bite." I carefully pulled them out, laid them on my bed, and proceeded to stare at them. Sort of like staring at a letter that will either accept or reject you. I called myself a ninny again and soldiered on. I opened the first book...and breathed a huge sigh of relief. I even laughed a little. These books are phenomenal. Not only are they stuffed with all sorts of information, all laid out in logical order, but the workbooks I got to go with them can easily be used to enhance and extend the learning process. Yep, you heard right: the workbooks actually jive with the textbooks. Though I don't know if you can call them textbooks, really. They're soft covered, and not at all intimidating.

Plus, oh joy! (this is not facetious), they also have activities in the workbooks to go with and add to the lessons. While I'm not exactly super-crafty, the kids really enjoy that sort of thing, and I know it will help underline what it is they've learned.

And, get this, there are tests, let me repeat, tests, in the back of the workbooks. Not big, intimidating, I'm-gonna-fail-you-if-it's-the-last-thing-I-do type of tests, either. More the show-me-what-you-know-and-I'll-bet-it's-a-lot sort of tests. This is going to be a wonderful tool for me to gauge whether the kids have learned what they needed, or if I need to go back over a few things. Oh, and, there is a check list at the end of each section, so we can make sure we haven't missed a darn thing. Wonderful!

Another great thing, the book also includes music and visual art. I don't just mean kid songs (which I have nothing against so don't sue me, Disney). There are profiles regarding famous classical composers, and information about how classical music has played such a key role in music today. There are also lessons on types of notes, of course, and on types of instruments. The kids are looking forward to this. The visual arts encompass everything from paintings (usage of lines to create movements, usage of color to create atmosphere), to sculpture (even the naked David!), to architecture. And the text manages to tie it all into the history plans. Amazing!

In case you didn't notice, I'm very excited. I can't wait to begin using these books (which will be tomorrow). The kids are, understandably, excited, too. After all, they've had to suffer through mom-created learning plans, which worked fine, but I'll admit could flounder off topic a bit. Gee, I wouldn't know why that would happen.

So, wish me luck. Our adventures in Homeschooling, via the awesome Core Knowledge books, begins tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed that I'm not cursing my choice in curriculum by next week. Which I doubt. The kids, maybe, but me? Not so much. After all, I don't mind making them use their brain power.

No comments:

Post a Comment